The Best Casinos
up to NZ$ 1,500
+500 Free Spins
- Play over 3,000 games by 45+ providers
- Accepts crypto in addition to NZD
- Supports many payment methods
- Mobile friendly games
250% up to NZ$ 1,800
+250 Free Spins
- Great welcome bonuses and ongoing promotions
- Modern website with fast performance
- VIP program
- Multiple payment options
100% up to NZ$ 2,000
+150 Free Spins
- Thousands of online casino games of chance up for play
- Speedy and reliable payment methods
- 24/7/365 customer support services to assist with a variety of matters
What is Video Poker?
The video type of poker is symbiosis of pokies games and regular poker with its conventional combinations. While in other types of poker, you are playing against opponents, in video poker, you win by getting the highest possible combination of five cards. Depending on the type of video poker you play, the gameplay, hands required to win, as well as payouts will be different.
Top Casinos with Video Poker
Looking to play some video poker? Make sure to do it on reliable site. We’ve put together a list of trusty casinos featuring different variations of the game. These are licensed platforms that guarantee player safety as well as fair and timely payouts.
up to NZ$ 600
+200 Free Spins
300% up to €1,000
325% up to NZ$ 7,500
+250 Free Spins
250% up to NZ$ 1,500
+200 Free Spins
100% up to $10,000
chance in the Spinch Wheel
100% up to NZ$ 500
100% up to NZ$ 500
+200 Free Spins
100% up to NZ$ 500
100% up to NZ$ 1,000
+200 Free Spins
100% up to NZ$ 4,000
How We Screen Out Video Poker Sites
Finding the best casinos with Video Poker on the web is a long and complicated process. To make sure our recommendation list consists only of top-notch gambling sites, they must meet a number of criteria listed below.
Video Poker Variations in New Zealand
Overall, the game's main principle lies in getting winning combinations and remains unchanged across its variations. The random number generator calculates a hand of five cards you get at the beginning of a round. Your task is to choose which ones to keep and which ones to swap. Despite that, different types of video poker have unique features. Below is brief information about the most widespread variations.
Jacks or Better
This type is the most played one among Kiwis and people all over the planet. To win, a player's hand must have a pair of jacks or a better combination starting from a pair of queens. We recommend you opt for the 9/6 version, as it implies bigger payouts and, therefore, a higher RTP rate (99.5%).
Tens or Better
This one is almost no different from its twinned Jacks or Better variant. It is the same one-hand video poker, with the only difference being that the payouts start with a hand consisting of at least a pair of tens.
Many New Zealand video pokie lovers prefer Deuces Wild for its unusual twist: all the deuces here are wilds that can be used as a replacement to get a winning combination.
Aces And Faces
The gameplay in the Aces and Faces variant is no different from Jack or Better. However, it has increased bonus payouts for a four-of-a-kind combination of any of face cards (jacks, queens, kings, aces).
Unlike the conventional Jacks or Better, the lowest winning combination in Joker Poker is Kings or Better. Being a wild card, the joker is not only a replacement for drawing up winning hands but also for creating new ones (like five of a kind).
This type of poker boasts increased winnings for some four-of-a-kind combos. There are quite a few versions of Bonus Poker, but the differences between them eventually come down to payout rates for various winning hands.
Bonuses for New Zealand Video Poker Players
Bonuses are pleasant addition to the exciting gaming content online casinos have to offer. Take a look at the most popular rewards to be found at the best casinos with Video Poker.
How to Play Video Poker in NZ
The game itself can hardly be described as complicated, which is why so many people want to try their hands there. Once you are ready to put theory into action to play online video poker, follow these simple steps:
- Pick a game to play. You are free to choose between such types as Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild, Joker Poker, and others.
- Get the money onto your casino account. You may as well play for free, but in order to have real winnings, you should deposit and play for real money.
- Select a bet amount. However, there is always a minimum bet amount (from NZ$0.10 to NZ$1), so keep that in mind when setting your budget for a gaming session.
- Press the "Deal" button. Once you do it, you will be dealt five cards in one or multiple hands.
- Decide on the cards. As soon as the cards have been dealt, you are free to pick which to hold and which to cancel.
- Press the "Deal" button the second time. If there are some cards you decide not to hold, you will be given different ones.
- Look at the outcome. If you end up with a winning hand, you will receive a payout in accordance with the paytable.
How to Sign Up to Video Poker Games
Before you are able to play online video poker and enjoy your winnings, you need to do the following:
- Find a casino to play. It has to be licensed and suit your gaming needs.
- Register. Complete the registration form to access what the casino has to offer.
- Fill in your profile. Before being able to make real money transactions, you might be required to provide the casino with your personal information.
- Use a bonus. If there is any bonus you can use for video poker, do not miss out on this opportunity.
- Verify your account. You might be required to prove your identity and age by submitting a photo/scan of your ID or other relevant documents.
- Enjoy the game. Now you can get into action!
Things to Do When Playing Video Poker
The underlying principle of winning in video poker is the same as with other poker types, which is getting a hand allowing you to win. That said, there are some tips that will help you improve your results in the game.
Know Video Poker RTP
RTP is a percentage showing how much money you will get back in the long run. For instance, with an RTP of 95%, you’ll win back NZ$95 out of NZ$100 you wagered. Video poker is the game with one of the highest RTPs to be found among casino games. However, the RTPs of various types of games are different. In this regard, it is recommended to go for the ones with the most favorable RTP rates (99% or higher).
Any Pair Over One High-Value Card
After the cards have been dealt, if you have a pair, albeit a low one, it is better to keep it instead of a single high card. The reason is simple, with a low pair on hold, you still can get a three or four-of-a-kind, two-pair, or full house. So even though the chances are slimmer, a potential payout makes it worth it.
Breaking Up Winning Hands
Sometimes you might be dealt an already winning hand of flush or straight. Is there any scenario where you would break up that hand? The only situation where you can break up straight or flush is when your hand is lacking one card to royal flush. In this case, you will still have good chances for other winning hands even if you don't get it.
Other Things to Remember
Besides the aforementioned recommendations, you can use other tips, such as:
- Opt for maximum coins
- Always go for a higher RTP
- Know the paytable
- Use strategy calculators to screen out wrong plays
Must-know Video Poker Terms for Kiwi Players
To become a master in video poker, you have to know the terms used to describe a certain move, phenomenon, or detail. Below you can find a glossary of the most useful terms.
|Essential Video Poker Terms|
|Bankroll||a total amount of money available for a gaming session|
|Discard||giving up the cards that are not held from the initial hand|
|Draw||to redeal the cards that you don't want to keep in hand|
|Face Card||jacks, queens and kings|
|Hold||to keep one to five cards before going for a draw|
|Max Bet||the button, allowing to set the maximum available number of coins|
|Paytable||a table showing payouts for winning hands|
|RNG||standing for "random number generator" it ensures that the game outcomes are not rigged|
|RTP||a return to player percentage showing how much players will be paid back from their bets over time|
Video Poker Winning Combinations
Payouts in an online video poker depend on a hand. These are the winning combinations:
|Pair||two same-value cards|
|Two Pair||two pairs of two same-value cards|
|Three of a Kind||three same-value cards|
|Straight||five cards standing in order|
|Flush||a hand consisting of any same-suit cards|
|Full House||a hand consisting of a pair and a three of a kind|
|Four of a Kind||four same-value cards|
|Straight Flush||five same-suit cards standing in order|
|Royal Flush||five same-suit cards from 10 to ace|
Video Poker Apps in New Zealand
Any Kiwi gambler is exposed to playing the game via mobile devices, with gameplay being no different from that of a desktop version. The best casinos and software developers make sure their games are equally accessible to Android and iOS users.
Comparison of Real Money Video Poker & Free Video Poker
Should you risk your funds in video poker or play just for fun? Let's compare both of these ways to see which one would serve your needs better.
Play Video Poker for real money
- There is always a possibility to win money
- Ability to take advantage of bonuses and promotions
- More excitement and thrill
- The money can be lost
Play Video Poker for free
- You play only for virtual credits
- Can be played in a demo mode without having to sign up
- Ability to try the game out and learn the rules
- There is nothing to lose, as you don’t risk your funds
- Less exciting to play
Popular Video Poker Payment Methods
New Zealanders are exposed to a handful of payment options when playing video poker for real money. Here are some of the most popular ones:
Popular Software Providers in New Zealand
Thanks to software providers, we can enjoy top-notch online video poker games. Here are the studios worth noting:
Video poker is an exciting casino game that combines elements of poker and slots. Its various variations, such as Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild and Joker Poker, provide unique opportunities and payouts. The RTP ratio is 99% or higher, providing favorable odds for players. Strategic decisions, such as having a low pair, can increase the odds of winning. However, breaking the winning hand should only be done in the case of the elusive royal flush. Players should also consider factors such as the maximum number of coins, paytable, and strategy calculator to optimize their gameplay. I hope the personal experience I've gathered in this guide will help you understand the nuances of the game, and enjoy playing effectively.